Monday, August 29, 2011

Thing 6 - Online Networks

I've found Thing 6 somewhat similar to Thing 4 in that it's all about how I use social networking. Any regular readers will know that I've only really just dipped my toe into the waters of social networking and that I find the whole thing slightly unnerving. However, saying that, some of the professional networking I've done via CPD23 has been interesting and useful and I want it to continue.

So, the online networks then. I've been on Facebook for sometime now and it's strictly a personal thing. I don't think I'll ever change my opinion on that, as I don't particularly want professional contacts seeing my friends attempts to get me to join their Mafia Wars games or my nieces asking me to contribute to Farmville. Similarly, I don't think they would find the minutae of library and information work all that interesting so I prefer to keep the two apart.
I had a look at the 4 LinkedIn profiles that were on the CPD23 things website and that is something that I'll possibly consider doing. I do like the thought of my professional social networking being strictly professional, so this would probably be a good thing for me. I still need to give some thought to my personal branding though before I take the plunge there. Watch this space!
I briefly checked out Cilip Communities but I'm not sure I like the format. I've been a member of Cilip for a long time but haven't really engaged much beyond paying the annual subscription. Maybe I should set aside some time to see what's on offer. Looking at the Communities site though I don't feel encouraged.

I think one of the main things that puts me off all this social networking is that there's just so much of it out there. All this information coming at me just gets a bit too much. I already read, and contribute to, various Jisc mailing lists and look at a few blogs and professional websites. There's only so much that one person can do. I think I also like the fact that Jisc mailing lists come directly to my e-mail inbox. I don't have to go out of my way to interact with them whereas with services such as Twitter I have to remember to check it. Sounds like I'm being very lazy here but the job I'm paid to do has to take precedence. I know that social networking can enhance my current post, but I have to balance that with making sure that my work gets done.

As usual, apologies for Thing 6 being so far behind everyone else. Two weeks off and then pretty much straight back into students being on site doesn't really leave time for CPD. I'm hoping to catch up before the end though.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry abt being behind. You're looking at each 'Thing' in turn, increasing your awareness of online tools and reflecting upon whether you may / may not use them. That's what it's all about! :)

    ReplyDelete